Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Fab Day with ALA

Last night I went to a social event for ALA folks attending an upcoming conference and got to meet some really great people. First, there was an agent that was kind enough to spend twenty minutes shooting the breeze with me. She was super nice--even told me I was on the track to success. Now, if that doesn't make a writer feel giddy, nothing will. Sure wish I could remember her name, though.

Oh well.

Next, I met a lot of really cool writers and a couple of illustrators that I hope will become more than just a passing memory in a bar (restaurant). I need all the friends I can get. Really.

Anyway, the point is that I had a fantastic time in DC with fantastic people, and I wish every Friday could be so enjoyable. Saturday morning, however, shows me how I was missed on the home front as I walk into my office to find pistachio shells covering the carpet and crumbs across the desk. The computer has been shut off (hmmm....) and my teenage babysitter swears the night before was awful. She was so upset by her siblings that she cleaned (!!) the kitchen and dining room late into the evening until I came home.

Hmmm... Mayhap I should runaway more often.


As for my literary adventures:

Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead--

This is book five of the Vampire Academy series, and you must know I'm a fan if I've read book five. So, yeah, I enjoyed this one and look forward to the next... but I do have an impatient side that tires of those series books that never end. I know where I want the story to go, but we'll just have to wait and see where Ms. Mead takes us.

A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker--

Two things I'll admit about this book. One) I really liked it. But Two) It has a lot of that language that I'm always harping about. So, I'm a little torn on this one. If you don't mind a few nasty words in your read, then go for it.

The Reformed Vampire Support Group by Catherine Jinks--

The idea behind this book sounded interesting, which is why I picked it up at the library, even though a part of me cringed. I can't say that Ms. Jinks is to blame, entirely... Perhaps I'm getting bored with vampires, or perhaps the book is simply aimed at another type of person, but I could not muster enough excitement over the story to pass chapter five (or thereabout). The story did not grab me. At all.

Until next time, gentle readers... hug a librarian and wear sunscreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment