Saturday, April 10, 2010

Another week

Did you ever get that feeling... after reading a couple of really great books, or after writing and writing for a long stint and finally coming up for air (whether by choice or forced)... the feeling of emerging from a tunnel? You're disoriented, unhappy, and can't figure, for the life of you, what to do but go back to your 'real' life.

OK, yeah. Me neither.

Where has the week gone? I think I did a lot of work, but I can't remember what. Or when. I must have fed the munchkins, 'cause they haven't keeled over yet. I think I paid the bills, the lights and computer are still running, and I recall seeing the sun, on occasion, so I must have left my den of iniquity at some point.

Yet, here it is, Saturday again, and the light is slowly fading into the west, so I must have squandered this day as well. Darn. -deep sigh-

At the very least, I can give y'all my book report:


Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver--

Complaint #1) bad language. Call me prude, but the first third of the book is positively swarming with foul words and snarkiness. I read on because my librarian friend recommended it as a 'good read'. I can say that the story got better; the book is extremely well written and well told, but it is another one of those stories that ought to have a warning, Do Not Read if You Have Depressive Tendencies. This book, despite the lovely prose and easy pace, comes off with (Complaint #2 is purely my own opinion) the message that some souls or people are worth saving while others are not. No me gusta.

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough--

Excellent! I knew from the start that I would love this book, and I did. Highly recommended for all you YA readers.

Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith--

Sorry to end on a sour note, but this book grated my inner writer so so so so badly that I could not force my way past the sixty page mark.


Until next time, keep your lights on while driving through tunnels.

No comments:

Post a Comment